When your liberal acquaintances try to argue with you about Operation Fast & Furious just look at them pityingly and say, “Don’t even go there.” If they decide they have the mental acuity to proceed then here is your ammo:
1) The intention of Wide Receiver was to track weapons and arrest those trafficking them and the drug dealers buying them. The operation was conducted with the cooperation of the Mexican government. The intention of F&F was just what happened: There would be increased gun violence along the border: It would be discovered that many of the guns came from the US and there would be a hue and cry to repeal the 2nd amendment. Mexico had no idea that Fast & Furious was taking place and has started its own investigation into that operation.
2) Wide Receiver was begun in 2006 and when it was discovered that it wasn’t working as planned (more about that, later) it was dumped in 2007. The Justice Department had previously released the numbers on WR. F&F didn’t get halted until a whistle-blower in the Border Patrol spilled the beans after Brian Terry got killed. After numerous subpoenas they still haven’t released all the information on F&F
3) About 300 guns were tracked (remember that word) in W.R.. About 2000 were walked (remember that word) in F&F.
4) Most of the weapons in WR were recovered before the bad guys could use them. About 1400 of the 2000 guns in F&F made it into bad guys’ hands and killed between 200 & 300 Mexicans, one ICE agent and one Border Patrol agent. About 700 of the weapons were recovered in Mexico and the US after being used in crimes by drug runners/murderers. There are still around 1300 of the assault weapons unaccounted for.
5) Tracking devices were implanted in the WR weapons and there was aerial surveillance as they moved. When arrests were made, the guns were recovered. The operation was halted for two reasons: 1) Some of the tracking chips were installed incorrectly so the weapons couldn’t be tracked. 2) When the bad guys realized they were being tracked they would drive around untill the surveillance planes had to refuel, then go deliver the guns. Thats whythe operation was cancelled No safeguards were taken in F&F because they never expected to recover the weapons.
6) Oh yeah, nobody died as a result of Operation Wide Receiver.
All the information in this rant can be verified either at the justice department’s web page or on various news sites.
So if your liberal acquaintances want to argue, remember this rant and crush them like the bugs they are!
Dave walked into a sports bar around 9:58 PM. He sat down next to a blonde at the bar and stared up at the TV. The 10 PM news was coming on. The news crew was covering the story of a man on the ledge of a large building preparing to jump.
The blonde looked at Dave and said, “Do you think he’ll jump?” Dave said, “You know, I bet he’ll jump.” The blonde replied, “Well, I bet he won’t.” Dave placed a $20 bill on the bar and said, “You’re on!”
Just as the blonde placed her money on the bar, the guy on the ledge did a swan dive off the building, falling to his death. The blonde was very upset, but willingly handed her $20 to Dave. “Fair is fair. Here’s your money.”
Dave replied, “I can’t take your money. I saw this earlier on the 5 PM news, so I knew he would jump.” The blonde replied, “I did too, but I didn’t think he’d do it again.” Dave took the money.